Homemade Deep Conditioner Natural Hair
Easy DIY Homemade Deep Conditioning Masks For Natural Hair
Deep conditioning hair treatment! What is the first thing that comes to mind?
Add Moisture and Moisture!
Dry hair is a problem that affects many of us. Deep conditioning treatments will combat dry hair! It will leave your hair healthy and strong. Healthy hair and scalp promote hair growth. Throughout the years of being natural, I had tried many DIY deep conditioning hair mask recipes. Avocado, banana, aloe vera, and sweet potato are my FOUR master ingredients for my thirsty, kinky dry hair.
Dry hair = Breakage!
The secret of beautiful healthy hair is in your kitchen! Right in the comfort of your home!
Do-it-yourself homemade deep conditioning mask is the way to go!
Store-bought deep conditioning masks can be costly, homemade masks are less costly and are a safer and more effective alternative.
What is Deep Conditioner (DC)?
The Solution for Dry Natural Hair!
Deep conditioning treatment is something that women with all hair types should do on a regular basis. Deep conditioning the hair is the process of treating and restoring your hair with moisture.
The number one source of moisture is water. A deep conditioning treatment mask penetrates the hair cuticle, giving the hair a longer-lasting conditioning effect.
Our natural hair naturally lacks moisture because of the tightly coiled curls and with all the constant manipulation we do to our hair.
It’s important to give your hair deep conditioning treatment at least once a week for 20–45 minutes under a hooded dryer or a heating cap. Deep conditioning masks are smooth yet thick inconsistencies. It penetrates the hair shaft by restoring moisture, electricity, softness, and shine.
I recommend adding a deep conditioning treatment mask to your healthy hair regimen.
Deep Conditioning Tips You Should Know
- Shampoo and condition
- Detangle your hair before applying your mixture
- Use organic ingredients
- Add any of your favourite moisturizing oil to the mixture
- Use some form of heat – this will help the mask penetrate the hair shaft
- Heat your deep conditioner mixture in hot water
- Divide your hair into four sections for easier application
- Apply the mixture to damp hair not soaking wet
- Apply the mixture directly to the scalp and down the hair
- Take the time to massage the mask into the scalp
- Take your time to apply the mixture to the ends of your hair — do not forget about them
- Use a wide-tooth comb to spread the mixture evenly
- Take your time to smooth the mask into your hair
- Sit underneath a hooded dryer or use a heating cap
- Leave the mixture in the hair for 30 minutes
- Use cool water to rinse your hair — this will close the hair cuticle and keep the moisture
- Do a deep conditioning treatment once a week
The key to healthy hair is to keep your hair moisturized all the time.
What Will You Need?
First, I highly recommend investing in a good quality blender. A good quality blender is important to have when making your homemade deep conditioning masks.
My Vitamix blender is the best of all blenders I’ve owned!
Yes, it is an expensive blender, but the cost savings are supreme. It does the job unbelievable amazingly and easy clean-up!
- Croc clips/hairbands
- Plastic container/bowl
- Wide-tooth comb
- Parchment paper/aluminum foil
- Shower cap/saran wrap
- Hooded hairdryer/heat cap
You can add your favourite moisturizing essential oil and raw honey to your mixture.
Raw Honey is a great natural humectant that attracts moisture and it is full of antioxidants, nutrients and feed the hair follicles.
Extra-virgin Olive Oil is rich in healthy monounsaturated fat. It is known to penetrate deep into the hair shaft instead of just coating it.
Finally. Let’s get to the fun stuff.
Here are my simple, deep conditioning recipes you can make in the comfort of your kitchen.
DIY Banana And Avocado Hair Mask
Avocado and Banana are my two main ingredients for my homemade deep conditioning mask recipe. They are natural and inexpensive. I call them the master fruits for conditioner.
Avocado is a tropical tree with green, pear-shaped. The fruit itself is technically a berry containing one large seed. Yes, avocado is a fruit! It is a nutrient All-star that comes in hundreds of varieties. This wonderful fruit offers nearly 20 vitamins and is rich in potassium, fibre, fatty amino acids and loaded in protein. Avocado is known for strengthening the hair shaft.
Bananas are one of the most widely consumed and appealing fruit in the world. It provides the hair with tons of moisture. It is loaded with nutrition like potassium, magnesium, vitamins, and fibre. Banana is known as the ‘hair vitamin’ for strengthening, adding shine and softness to the hair.
The Benefits Of Avocado And Banana Hair Mask
- It helps to rejuvenate, restore and keep moisture to the hair.
- Deep conditioners and soften each hair strand.
- Improve elasticity and shine.
- Leaves hair feeling soft, shiny, frizz-free and overall appearance.
- Promote a healthy scalp and faster hair growth.
- Improve with manageability and detangling.
- Strengthen and help to reduce hair damage and split ends.
- Two small or one large ripe organic avocado
- Two small or one large overripe organic banana
- 1/3 of filtered water or bottled water
- Four Tbsp teaspoons of raw honey
- Four Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
You can switch up the recipe. Blend the avocado or banana alone with your favourite moisturizing oils. Assess your hair and see what works best.
- Peel and slice the banana into the blender
- Use a spoon and scoop the avocado into the blender
- Add your favourite moisturizing oil and the raw honey
- Blend the ingredients thoroughly until the mixture a smooth and free of lumps
- Place the mixture in a small bowl.
After blending all of your ingredients. Your mixture should be fully blended, smooth, and thick. Depending on the quality of your blender. You may not have to sieve your mixture.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp on freshly cleansed hair
- Remember to focus on the ends of your hair. Take your time to smooth in the mixture
- Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap or saran wrap
- Sit under a hooded dryer or heat cap
- Let the treatment sit in your hair for at least 20–45 minutes or even longer
- Rinse thoroughly with cool water
I do not have to worry about these annoying little lumpy particles that can get stuck in the hair. The Vitamix will blend the hell out of the avocado and the banana. It will be free of lumps and particles.
Oh, one more thing. Do not forget to apply your leave-in conditioner!
All done. UMM! Maybe not!
Leftover mixture? Do not even try to waste this magical mixture. If you want, you can even eat it! Hey! After all, it’s an edible deep conditioning treatment!
Avocado And Banana Face Mask
Use your leftover mixture as a facial mask treatment. This mixture is a great source of vitamin E and antioxidants, which is excellent for protecting the skin by reducing the production of free radicals. Works to clear the skin, removing dark discoloration left from those annoying blemishes.
Before you apply the facial mask, cleanse your face as you would normally. Apply and smooth the mixture into your face and neck. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes or until it dries. Finally, rinse the mask off with plain cool water.
After you see the instant vibrating glow to your face, just like new! Your face will feel soft and bright.
DIY Aloe Vera Homemade Conditioning Mask
Aloe vera is widely used in hair and skin products. It acts as an excellent conditioner! Believe me, great for our hair!
Aloe vera is full of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It is rich in proteolytic enzymes that improve the health of the scalp and boost hair growth. It is an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antimicrobial that helps relieve scalp irritation and aggravation of skin conditions.
The Benefits Of Aloe Vera Hair Mask
- Maintain and improve your hair’s pH level
- Restore and add moisture
- Promotes elasticity
- Reduce dandruff and flaking
- Eases the detangling process
- Prevent itching on the scalp
- Promote hair growth
- Restore and add shine
How to Make Fresh Aloe Gel
- Slice a large aloe vera leaf
- Peel off the top skin
- Scoop out the gel from inside the leaf with a spoon
- Place the gel into the blender until you have an even consistency
- Mix 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of honey in a small bowl
If you don’t want to blend, you can cut open the aloe vera leaf and rub it into the scalp and hair.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair
- Massage the gel into your scalp down through the ends of the hair
- Cover your hair with a shower cap
- Leave the mixture in your hair for one hour or overnight
- Wash the mixture off with cool water
Aloe Vera Face Mask
Aloe vera is excellent for skincare. It cleanses, hydrates, smooths and repairs the skin. I use my aloe vera gel as a face moisturizer. I do not rinse out mines.
I cleanse my face and massage the mixture into my face and neck. Instant brightness! You can leave the gel on your face as long as you like. Leave your remaining mixture to refrigerate for 7-10 days.
Get yourself an aloe vera plant! The best advice I have to give you.
Last but not least…
DIY Sweet Potato Hair Mask
Sweet potato contains high amounts of vitamins, potassium and minerals needed to support healthy hair, skin, and nails!
It is loaded with vitamin C one of the main vitamins needed to help produce collagen. Which have important amino acids needed to build keratin, the main protein of your skin and hair!
Beta carotene is an antioxidant that turns into vitamin A in our bodies. Vitamin A helps to straighten the hair by reducing breakage and encouraging sebum. Which adds moisture and shine to the hair. Vitamin B1 and B6 help to promote hair growth and overall health of the hair and scalp.
Sweet potato flesh can be white, purple, yellow, red, orange and violet while skin colour ranges from brown, orange, yellow, and yellow. I suggest you use those with orange, red, and pink flesh because they are sweeter and moist.
One more thing. I recommend that you add sweet potato to your diet. Sweet potatoes taste delicious and great for our hair and skin.
The Benefits of Sweet Potato Hair Mask
- Add and restore moisture
- Add protein to the hair
- Improve with manageability
- Helps with excessive shedding
- Straighten the hair cuticle
- Prevent and reduce hair breakage
- Promote hair growth
- One Organic whole sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of filtered water or bottled water
- 1/3 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Two teaspoons of raw honey
- Cut the potato into two and wrap with parchment paper or aluminum foil
- Bake the sweet potato until tender
- Remove the skin of the sweet potato
- Cut them into pieces and add to your blender
- Add water, raw honey, and extra virgin olive oil
- Blend the ingredients until the mixture is creamy
I always bake my sweet potato in its skin, which causes less nutrition loss than boiling. You can boil or steam the potato if you like.
- Section your hair in four
- Fully coat the mixture from the root to the ends
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap
- Keep the mixture in your hair for 30-45 minutes
- Rinse your hair with cool water
The mixture should be warm from boiling the potato. The warmth helps to penetrate the hair’s strands, making the conditioning more effective.
Sweet Potato Face Mask
Use the remaining mixture and apply it to your cleansed face. Sweet potatoes are great for skincare! It draws out impurities, moisturizes and decreases sensitivity to UV damage. And leave the skin healthy and bright. Leave for ten minutes and wash.
Now, enjoy the sweet benefits. Soft and glowing skin!
The store brought deep conditioners that have nothing on my homemade deep conditioning mask!
What is your favourite homemade deep conditioning mask recipe? How often do you deep condition your hair? Share them below.